Friday, February 5, 2010

Deep as My Backbends...from Hot Buns to Bhakti...in the Depths of Winter...Virtually and Otherwise...


...was reading this thing by famous dreadlocked virtual reality guru Jaron Lanier...I know quite a few people, most of them young adults, who are proud to say that they have accumulated thousands of friends on Facebook. Obviously, their statements can be true only if the idea of friendship is diminished....preach it, dreadlocked bro! speak that virtual truth to that virtual power!....nonetheless, can’t say I’ve actually had a whole lotta trouble telling the difference between the virtual multitudes I’ve virtually friended and that far more select group who drive me to the airport at five in the morning, indulge my sense of humor at its worst, or listen to my problems for hours on end...though there’s overlap...just like I doubt many of this blog’s followers live by my teachings, pray to my image, or refuse to vote for presidential candidates who fail to acknowledge me as their personal savior....though, if anybody is doing that, a bit of tithing wouldn’t kill ya...just sayin’...

Humor is the instinct for taking pain playfully.
Max Eastman

...helping addicts with their writing never fails to enrich my vocabulary...my new favorite word is abandominium...far more attractive than squat, I think...

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
Jack Handey

...once got called an asshole by a girlscout...because I said no thanks when asked if I wanted to buy cookies...

...take pride in your humility...
Ancient and Revered Yoga Cynic Sutra 435:18

...I'm deep as my backbends...spiritually, philosophically, and whateverwise....read lotsa books...lotsa blogs...attend lotsa classes...some workshops & retreats...seen a couple movies...written a good bit...had lotsa conversations...virtual & otherwise...exploring the meanings of that yoga thing...from hot buns to bhakti...

...gotta admit, though...here in the depths of winter...at the risk of sacrificing membership in the serious spiritual yogis club...that what gets me on the mat...most of the time...is that it gives me a buzz...when a buzz is something I have great difficulty doing without...(and, thankfully, unlike many varieties of buzz, it’s one that builds me up rather than tearing me down)...and namasmotherfuckingte to that...

15 comments:

Louise said...

I'm right with you on that buzz thing.
I hear you.
Sorry,
I read you
{*}

earthtoholly said...

Recently I've been thinking about my FB accounts...feeling at ease with one and out of place with the other. And reminding myself that you don't really know all these folks, yet really liking them despite that.

And how can anyone, virtual or otherwise, not indulge your sense of humor, drjay? I know not how.

That Girl Scout who called you an asshole? I bet it was one of those Bluebirds in Girl Scouts' clothing. Trust me.

A beautiful snow pic---taken today? Last I heard, DC's getting at least 2 ft.

Lydia said...

Geez, and here there are crocus bulbs up in the yard. It's sick I tell ya, just sick.

Eco Yogini said...

namastemotherfucking..... that SO beats my 'effing' LOL.

yes, the online community can be so fantastic. :)

Kitty said...

namasmotherfuckingste to you too, dr. j. couple of things: 1. facebook gives me the creeps so i don't do it 2. i think you ran up into the 11 year old girl scout version of me trying to pimp you some cookies. i seem to remember calling people assholes for not wanting my wares as well. peace, kitty

Unknown said...

Oh, you make me laugh!!
And, sorry about the asshole comment...I had a quota to meet...:>)

WR said...

Well, the truth of the matter is that use FB. Kind of an easy way to stay in touch with far flung people in ones life. Don't think it was meant for deep and passionate exchange of ideas. That's why there is a "like" button. Two thousand dead in Haiti creeps me out ~ FB, not so much. Ya' know what I'm saying?

Sorry about all the snow. Well, not really. More like I'm thrilled I'mnot in it. Now I have to worry that the gods or something will smite me! :)

bereweber said...

'...my new favorite word is abandominium...far more attractive than squat...' :)

& namasmotherfuckingte...

& you are my favorite English teacher Dr. Jay, muchas gracias!!

the walking man said...

yomotherfuckingfriend the snow to Detroit city did not blow but I got my buzz to know to yo town it did go.

Brooks Hall said...

Ya know, there are beings who are aligned with the "high" of yoga and similar things, and feel that the baggage of life can create a drag on the spirit... Fly high, dude.

I guess the coolest might be to maintain a "freedom high" in the emotional realm while doing the sometimes difficult tasks on Earth. ...just working without the guilt and sadness. That sounds okay, right?

Or just have namas-effin-fun.

Brooks Hall said...

Jay, Not that you're taking requests... But I think that I'd like to read a seperate post for each of the topics mentioned in the title of this one. Especially "from hot buns to bhakti" now that's catchy. This is a blizzard of a post perhaps reflective of the snowstorm...

Lana Gramlich said...

Whatever makes it work for you, hon.
I would KILL for girl scout cookies! I've been jonesing for thin mints for over 2 years now & although there are girl scouts in my area (& even 2 troups that meet at my library,) I seem unable to get a single, freaking cookie. Alas...Buddha's 2nd noble truth proves right...

Laura said...

You guys have way more snow than we do up here in the typically great white north...I can actually see bare patches in the woods beyond my house. Totally unheard of in NH in February. Still, it is bitter cold and the wind is howling.

fb is very weird at times...but I have reconnected with some old friends from high school and college...and am now regularly in touch with few of them now, which to me is worth saying yes to the acquaintances who wish to "friend" me. Plus it's the best way for me to stay connected to my nieces and former students who live far away.

over all I prefer my blogging social network...it's a bit more self selecting

and hey...I see the fucking light in you too, despite the white out conditions in Philly.

Karin Bartimole said...

excuse me while I light the candle in my Dr Jay altar...

Great photo of the blizzard that wasn't up here in NY. i'm hoping for a good onslaught tomorrow :)

Anonymous said...

Squat is the name of an Erisian Deity, and patron of Parking Spaces.

You could do worse.
:)
I was in GS once a long long time ago. Oddly enough they remind me of FB. Now I avoid both like the plague.