Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Headlight On Wet Black Asphalt


...headlight light* on wet black asphalt at the intersection out the window from the coffee shop** on a grey late November morning...there and gone, then replaced, gone again, and there again with the slow movement of cars, controlled by STOP signs and crossing guard...if with a slightly different quality, angle, luminosity, each time...impossible to photograph***...seems all the illumination I’m gonna get, this morning...but, for right now, it’s enough...


* kind of a redundant-sounding, not very mellifluous description, I know...but “glare” really doesn’t do it, and “sparkle” would be way too far in the opposite direction...as, in a different way, would “luminescence” or any o' them there fancy-schmancy highfalutin' words...even “shine” seems a bit much...I’m just talking about a little bit o’ plain ol’
light here, folks, nothin’ more...

** High Point Cafe, Carpenter & Greene, West Mt. Airy, State of Highly Caffeinated Sadhana, U.S.A....

*** at least not with my cell-phone camera...****

**** or, at least not with my cell-phone camera operated by
me...*****

***** especially not if I get the angle wrong, so the doorframe’s largely blocking exactly what I’m trying to focus on....looked right from where I was sitting when I took it...******

****** then, the picture’s not the point, anyway...*******

******* then, really, neither are the words...

2 comments:

earthtoholly said...

Heeee...this was funny, drjay. (Though I'm sad to see the missing doggie flyer in the window.)

The word situation reminds me of my love for the online thesaurus. And I know what you mean about the camera in the phone...it's there, yet an abstruseness...okay, just being annoying with the thesaurus.

Laura said...

I think I know what you mean...capturing light, especially reflected light is difficult to capture in words and as a photo...sometimes you really truly just have to BE there to receive that moment of "enlightenment" it provides. And it is, in that moment, or can be an opening into enlightenment, brief though it may be, for those few seconds or maybe a minute the heart/mind/body/spirit go "AHHHH"...then it is gone, like the passing cars.