Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Making Imaginary Snowpeople Out of Rain


To recognize the basic goodness in everyone takes courage.
Tara Brach

...the holiday season is upon us....and I thought about being really postmodernly ironic and cute and putting a syrupy sweet Thomas Kinkade holiday image at the top of this post....trouble is, there’s kind of a fine line between being postmodernly ironic and cute and seriously sucking up the place...and that might just cross it...


...and, anyway, this is a time of year...or so I'm told...for dropping one’s cool, ironic stance and getting all warm, fuzzy, and spiritual...like so...


***THIS BWOG WUVS YOU***
***AND WISHES YOU A VEWWY MEWWY CHWISMUS***

...okay...that went waaaaaaay too far...and was kinda painfully ironic, anyway...so...perhaps an inspiring line from The New Testament?...

...I was stoned...
2 Corinthians 11:25

...alright, forget it...

...Bob Dylan came out with a Christmas album, Christmas in the Heart...and I’ve been listening to it while roasting chestnuts on an open fire, redecorating my apartment to look like a manger, and making imaginary snowpeople out of rain...all the while thinking if I keep listening to this, then maybe, just maybe, I’ll come to see it as something other than yet another twisted ironic joke Bob’s playing on his dedicated fans, like me, who he knows would buy a CD of him blowing his nose...which, truth be told, might sound better than his rendition of Here Comes Santa Claus....but, at least, the proceeds are all going toward
providing food for people who need it...and that’s what it really should be all about, anyway, isn’t it?...

...(yes, I actually ended that last paragraph with something sincere...even providing a link...as if my Grinch heart grew three sizes...)

10 comments:

Eco Yogini said...

bob dylan christmas cd????

weird.

soon you'll be holding hands with little who people and singing that weird creepy "whahoo, hohray, wahoo" song....

earthtoholly said...

Yeah, dropping your "...cool, ironic stance..." was a bit much, drjay, but that Corinthians piece was a really nice fix.

The Bob Dylan Christmas album... donating the proceeds was a really nice fix.

Despite my own grinchiness, I really did ho-ho-ho all the way through this very witty holiday post!

Kikolani said...

I do find it funny that even the most non-emotional people sometimes drop the walls and get with the festive, giving, loving spirit of the holidays. You would think if we could just push a "holiday theme" throughout the year, that everyone could be happy and giving all the time.

~ Kristi

Brooks Hall said...

Funny, Dr. Jay! I just about barfed when it came to the bwog cwap, but you really saved it with the bibwical wrefwence.

Bob Weisenberg said...

This is really incomplete without the must-see Bob Dylan Christmas video, posted on YogaDork:

http://bit.ly/2fayY9

Weird as it is, it actually less weird than the idea of Bob Dylan Christmas album in the first place.

Anyway, I've been a fan of Dylan since I sang his early folk songs back in High School. Since then he's been prolific and uneven, but often brilliant.

Bob Weisenberg
YogaDemystified.com

Anna Yaya Kelleher said...

Thank you! I loved the Corinthians part of your post. The holidays are a tough time for me (although this year is seeming a strangely better than others, maybe because I'm not trying as hard) and getting a laugh is just what I need. Keep it rolling Dr. Jay.

Aviva DV said...

If only we could all make imaginary snow people out of rain this holiday season the world would be a better place!

bereweber said...

i loved the title of the post
and like everybody else, the Corinthians verse heh heh

when i was younger, i was a Grinch myself, and hated the commercialization of Christmas, these days, i am a fuzzy old lady and love the Christmas carols, decorating the tree (which i haven't) and drinking hot gingery milky stuff...

even if it sounds cliche for once the Western world reunites once a year for a common goal, even if it's spending money ;) heh heh

love the Dylan album

dunno if you are familiar with "Low" a superb band, one of my favorites... they put out a Christmas album a while ago, not funny like Dylan's but rather pretty

http://www.chairkickers.com/discography/christmas.html

enjoy!

the walking man said...

I really like this kumbaya side of you. No really, I do.






Really he he he

Melissa said...

i think dylan is sounding more and more like tom waits. i have it. truly one of the worst christmas albums ever, but i appreciate the oddness of that.

merry christmas and cheers,
melissa