Monday, July 19, 2010

Doors Going Through Doors


...we never really know what’s on the other side of a door...

...we tell ourselves we do...armed with speculations, memories, plans, wishes, and peeking through keyholes...but, even if a door’s open, or transparent, we see only what’s visible within a thin frame...the tiniest sub-section of an ineffable everything...not to mention that ladies can turn out to be tigers, and tigers, ladies...that the simplest decisions turn out, almost invariably, to be the most complicated...

...trust in beliefs, gods, attitudes...come up with what seem to be a likely few out of infinite contingencies...endless facets of the great unknown invariably to be found on that infinitely mysterious other side.....though, let’s face it, that's true of this side, as well...

...so that, sometimes, there’s simply nothing to do but open ourselves and go on through...

11 comments:

Brooks Hall said...

That tigers and ladies comparison sounds ferocious! I think you'll be okay... Not that I know, but I think it's better to step through a door than to hang out on the stoop too long.

I like how at the end, instead of looking at or opening a door that is outside of yourself, it turns into you opening yourself. Makes sense.

Unknown said...

Yes, I love that too. We spend so much time looking externally when it's been inside the whole time. Awesome.

Come comment on my blog, you could win some cool stuff.

Bob Weisenberg said...

I like this, Jay. It makes me realize how much more comfortable I feel about staring the sometimes scary uncertainly of life squarely in the face since I started practicing Yoga philosophy, whether the fear is on that side of the door, or, as you pointed out is equally true, "this" side of the door.

Bob Weisenberg
YogaDemystified.com

Anahita said...

Indeed. That's definitely true of "this side" as well.

earthtoholly said...

I remember that door and making assumptions...that it looked like it harbored something unsavory at one time. But, a closer look has changed my mind. I think it may've been a nice foresty home. And I'm probably wrong on both accounts... .

More brutally hot weather on the way, drjay. Stay cool.

Lana Gramlich said...

What do you do when you open the door to yourself & the bouncer stops you & says you're not on the list?

Daisy Deadhead said...

Just the post I needed today. :)

the walking man said...

Never pass by an unlocked door until you know what's on the other side. If it's a gorilla run...if it s a garden run...inside. Just open the damn thing so you know.

Lydia said...

Great thoughts. Reminded me of the quote by Anais Nin (that I have framed on a wall, an artist's handmade piece with real dried flowers on it):
And then the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.

Melinda said...

Jay--these are great thoughts and I can see you've also been taking a bit of a 'blogcation' as has Melindaville. But it's great to catch up.

Sometimes we just have to trust . . . trust in ourselves and trust in fate. That's been part of my journey for sure. Learning to trust my heart because that rarely steers us wrong.

Take care, my friend--

Melinda

DESPERADO said...

It's funny.Right now I'm standing in front of a door, not knowing what awaits.Scared and worried.

Whatever it is will be potentially a life changing decision 4 me.