Thursday, April 2, 2009

Huh?! What?!


Is this love, baby, or is it...confusion?
Jimi Hendrix

...some people appear to have found recent Yoga for Cynics posts confusing....that might be a good thing...or maybe not...I’m rather confused about the matter...

Confusion is next and next after that is the truth...
Sonic Youth

...the last four posts were mostly written while yoga retreating in Mexico...the exception being the Marvin Gaye one, which was mostly written by hand while waiting for a train to take me home from the Philly airport....like last year's retreat, which inspired the creation of this blog, this one included writing workshops led by legendary writer/performer/teacher/holy lunatic Ann Randolph , in which I found myself rhapsodizing about things like...y’know...Vikings walking on water, and how the Hulk manages to keep his waistband intact...with some more serious soul-searching stirred in...which can get confusing...then, maybe confusion is the point...

I believe that the moment is near when by a procedure of active paranoiac thought, it will be possible to systematize confusion and contribute to the total discrediting of the world of reality.
Salvador Dali

...I find these days I’m opening more and more to my deep inner weirdness...as normalcy is always and ever nothing more or less than a social construct, you’re never gonna get in touch with yourself until you learn to embrace your deep inner weirdness...even if that’s, ultimately, a social construct, too...and my deep inner weirdness is very deep and weird...can anyone reading this disagree?

If you’re not confused, you’re not paying attention.
Tom Peters

...I’ve always found it strange the way people take statements like truth cannot be known and hold them up as truths that they, in fact, know beyond a shadow of a doubt...even I don’t know, it seems to me, needs to be spoken with some degree of skepticism...unless I’m confused...I mean, what if you do know and are simply too confused to know you know?

he who knows does not speak and he who speaks does not know
Lao Tzu

...I suspect that Lao Tzu knew he was being inherently contradictory...and therefore inherently confusing...and that may have been his point...he wasn’t offering something to repeat in a wise voice to one’s acolytes...but something by which to be confused...so that one might eventually learn to live more comfortably in confusion...or maybe I’m just confused...

17 comments:

Brooks Hall said...

Yes, both confusion and inner weirdness are honored companions in my experience. Oversimplification can hide confusion, which is an important phase in psychological growth. Look into the mist, even if it is hard to identify what's in it. And inner weirdness is the gold mine of inner good stuff. What makes us unique is a gift if we look at it that way. And if we look at it that way, we can learn to use it that way.

Anonymous said...

I'm all for confusion - it keeps life interesting and all the rest of us guessing. Happy Confusion Day.

human being said...

confused?
perhaps you're just infused
by your muse
to re...fuse
the defused

:)

Lana Gramlich said...

Like I've told my husband in the past; All I know, is that I know nothing.

Kim said...

Confusion is where the best things come from. It's the center of creation. The Big Bang is the biggest example of that. It was one big pile of confusion that led to this moment. And this one. And this one....

bereweber said...

yeahayyyy! Dr. Jay
wonderful quote that one of Sonic Youth (prob. my favorite band for years!!)
and yes! it does seem sometimes as if
"Chaos is the future
And beyond it is freedom"...
but remember also that:
"Stick your fingers
In your mouth
Squeeze your tongue
And wrench it out
From it's ugly fucking cancer
Its ugly fucking cancer
Root
You gotta cultivate what you need to need"

on Lao Tzu's confusion: I do find his words always so calming, sure! they sound contradictory many times, but i don't think they really contradict themselves, it's just the nature of nature, i think...

i found many years ago this website displaying the verses of the Tao-Te-Ching in frames, every time i am stressed and close to a computer, i click randomly on one of the verses number, and believe it or not, the words seem to 'fit' the situation on my head... now is this a magical website? find out yourself! ;)

http://http-server.carleton.ca/~rgray/TaoTeChing/

Anonymous said...

Living in a state of uncertainty is mostly confusion. Accepting that can lead to a kind of balance, where you seem to flow with uncertainty. As for weirdness--Well I am deeply appreciative of Weirdos, because they manage to make the infuriating absurd--comic relief, even if that comedian is a cynic. Actually that just makes the relief, jucier.

WR said...

confusion...
chaos...
too much energy...
which is too much like life...
which is too much like sensuality...
which causes confusion
and on and on....

Anonymous said...

What?? Damn, I can't make head not tail of this post. Can someone explain it to me, please?

patti said...

I love my inner weirdness and in fact, find it weird when I try to be normal. My truth is weird, but in accepting it, it becomes normal. Confused yet?

Lydia said...

@ berenice- I visited the Tao-Te-Ching website you mentioned, clicked on #64 and read exactly what I needed to read tonight.......

(No offense, Dr. Jay. It was afterall due to your expressing your inner weirdness that I was led to the other website. And you certainly did give one of my favorite lines by Jimi.)

earthtoholly said...

My apologies, drjay, for my confusion over your previous post, but, if you haven't noticed already, I'm prone to hanging out at blogs that are waaay over my head. But I can't help it, so you're stuck with me! (Please just ignore any future, confused-sounding drivel outta me....uhhh, not unlike this comment...)

p.s. Lucy loves the Hendrix piece!

Melinda said...

For many years, I felt ashamed of my weirdness--I always felt awkward, different, and uncomfortable in my own skin. It's only been recently that I have learned to really embrace my inner weirdness and that's been quite a freeing experience. I feel you are kindred spirit in many ways, since we were both awkward and pissed off adolescents at one time.

I really like the Peters quote--lol--I have to remember that one. I honestly think there's quite a bit of truth there!

Melinda

jehannie said...

well whatever it is, I can dig it.

bereweber said...

@Lydia

i am really glad you visited the Tao-Te-Ching link and found wise advice :)
am telling you! it always comes out with something perfect for the moment, like if the page is enchanted... or what?

glad it worked for you!

salutes from San Diego California

timethief said...

The bad news is that I rarely ever understand what you are babbling about in this blog. The news news is that it doesn't stop me from reading and pondering. And, that's my truth. ;-)

Christine Vyrnon said...

Just admit it: you need to be locked away in a padded room...