Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sutras While the Sun Sets (El Yogi Cynico en Costa Rica Parte Dos)


...it really says something about this town that a big hairy guy can get picked up hitch-hiking in the dark by a girl in a bikini...or so I announced, manic frenzied energy bursting into the improvised yoga studio on the cabana’s front porch facing the ocean as everyone else prepared quietly for candle-lit kundalini...and I think I was misunderstood...

...getting lost is often essential in getting where you need to go...
Ancient and Revered Yoga Cynic Sutra 18:339

...first day or so in Santa Teresa found me gravitating between a kind of elated relief and lingering dread carried over from home...shedding layers of clothing and watching the mountains and jungle go by on the six hour bus and ferry ride to the Nicoya Peninsula, buying armloads of fresh papayas and mangoes, avocados and bananas...body where I wanted it to be, but another part remaining, as if caught in a web of ice, elsewhere...

...but working on it, getting up to sit on the rocks as the sun came up, morning yoga and running out into the waves to wash off the sweat...setting out to make a meditation of wandering through the day...


...culminating in a long afternoon walk, about as far down the beach toward the south as bare feet could comfortably take me, before turning around, expecting time to kick back a while, maybe take another swim, before evening yoga...just had to turn right into the trees at the rocks in front of Punta Coco...purple i-pod playing Buenavista Social Club, Peter Tosh, Astrid Gilberto, and Cowgirl in the Sand...(Fillmore East version)...orange sun fading from sky to sea...

...and yet, after some distance, nothing, apparently, but thin sandy high tide beach up ahead...seeming to go on and on...sun now red, continuing its descent as I moved faster, fueled by just a bit of anxiety in paradise...thinking, after a while, I must have gone too far but certainly didn’t recall seeing those rocks...then worrying I was gonna miss yoga class, and racing into the descending darkness...adrenaline coursing through every capillary even with the realization that I was likely running away from instead of toward home...feet padding rapidly on wet sand as light diminished...


...it’s not an adventure unless, as some point along the way, it really sucks...
Ancient and Revered Yoga Cynic Sutra 532:42

...and yet, the beach only seemed to get more narrow, unfamiliar...just about ending....no doubt about it, I’d gone too far...possibly way too far....turned off on the first dirt and gravel passageway, finding a strange collection of houses connected by wooden walkways, followed by a steep rocky hill...though things were completely flat where we were staying...meaning I was way off...shit...not wanting to go back to the beach, though, with little reason to think I’d have any more success finding Punta Coco going the other way, with even less light...so continued trudging upward...barefoot, on gravel...finding this little jaunt had stopped being fun some time ago and showed little promise of getting anything but worse...at last reaching the road, now in full dark, turning knowing I had quite a way to go on it, though still not at all sure exactly where in this strange foreign land I was...and my feet were already sore...


...saw an SUV coming...not many cars other than SUV’s and ORV’s in those parts...the roads are too rough...and, just for the hell of it, stuck out my thumb...hoping, from past experience, for some big burly guy...typically the only kind of person who picks up big burly guy hitch-hikers...though even they generally don’t so in the dark...

...instead, the Spanish speaking surfer girl in the green bathing suit calmly pulled over upon sight of my upraised thumb....even if she seemed a bit nonplussed when her dirty, barefoot passenger seemed unclear on where he was or where he was going...and what I could explain she couldn’t understand...finally managing to sputter out perdido...en la playa...she smiled and said aaaah...fully aware, it was clear, of the intoxicating nature of the Costa Rican sunset...


...all in all, take a poet over a guru any day...intrepid searchers make far better conversation than those who claim to have found...
Ancient and Revered Yoga Cynic Sutra 561:87

...seemed at least two miles before the sign for the little hamburguesa joint near the gate to Punta Coco...and so, after another barefoot jaunt down the short jungle gravel road to the cabanas, made it to yoga class on time...heart pumping, crazily invigorated...there, completely...

18 comments:

Bob Weisenberg said...

Found it. You were really far south. I was up in Playa Flamingo, north of Tamarindo.

Great story. Enjoyed every minute, especially the accompanying Yoga Cynic Sutras. And so easy to picture, since I was watching the same sunsets.

Bob Weisenberg
YogaDemystified.com

Patricia said...

"..it’s not an adventure unless, as some point along the way, it really sucks..."
Ancient and Revered Yoga Cynic Sutra 532:42

That's like one of the truest things I've ever read. Can be said of life, too.

Brooks Hall said...

How fun!

Lana Gramlich said...

Stunning sunset shots. Thanks for sharing!

earthtoholly said...

Thanks for sharing your gorgeous photos, drjay. I knew you'd bring back something spectacular.

I really got a giggle out of your first paragraph there...ha! I guess everyone else had to be there...

And glad you found your way back via bikini girl rather than burly guy!

Sevapuri said...

Such abn excellent adventure. Cant wait for the Ancient and Revered Yoga Cynic Sutra Book. :)

Lydia said...

I enjoyed this maybe more than any of your posts because it was a full experience that I just let myself be in for a lovely while. Truly, these are gorgeous shots and the Reverend Yoga Cynic Sutras are marvelous.

And Bob Weisenberg is there in another part of the area? You guys really know how to live!

word verification: forus
(as in "thank you for creating this wonderful post for us.")

Anonymous said...

Jay - those are great photos - I held the laptop screen up to the window to show those wonderful scenes to the two feet of snow in the yard and I swear, the snow started to melt. I loved the story as well. . . in fact it might have been the girl in the green bikini text that was melting the snow. Sutra 532:42 is one for the ages. Fantastic.

WR said...

Did you get her name?

Wonderful retelling of your journey. Obviously we are all enjoying the trip. Beautiful photo. Okay, this time I'm just a bit jealous!

Eco Yogini said...

I also loved your "it's not an adventure unless at some point along the way something sucks"

so true!

This story is priceless. truly. you need to somehow make it available for re-reads on your site. :)

(and yep, we are called Haligonians... LOL. I tried to call Ontario people Ontarionians, but they didn't like that much hah)

Delighted Scribbler said...

Yes! I agree with Eco Yogini, "it's not an adventure unless at some point along the way something sucks" was one of the best parts. LOL

Beautiful pics.

rental mobil said...

Nice article,
Keep posting stuff like this i really like it.
God Bless you.

Grace said...

I can feel your panic! Glad you made it back safely.

This one was my favorite:
"..all in all, take a poet over a guru any day...intrepid searchers make far better conversation than those who claim to have found...
Ancient and Revered Yoga Cynic Sutra 561:87"

But maybe that's just because I was an English major.

Bob Weisenberg said...

Hi, Grace. Me too. I even have a POEM t-shirt. (Professional Association of English Majors from Prairie Home Companion.)

Melinda said...

Jay--I loved both of these last two posts. They actually leave me a little speechless, I was so drawn in to your experiences. I felt *my* feet hurting as you trudged along. :)

The photos were absolutely beautiful! They were the perfect cherry on top of your breathtaking account of your experiences. Well done, my friend. No wonder you will take a poet any day--you are a poet.

I just loved these.

Melinda

Laura said...

That was some crazy anxiety producing adventure! But this line really caught my attention (you know before the anxious buildup and the happily ever after part) "setting out to make a meditation of wandering through the day..."

I will hold onto this sentence for a while...it feels like extremely good advice.

Your photos are gorgeous by the way...(and of course your sutras are priceless)

Such a wonderful post Dr Jay, we missed you here in blogland!

Annika said...

really enjoying your delightful blog! Happy I stumbled upon it!

elderyogini said...

The sutras are really coming along. I also await the book.