Thursday, January 8, 2009

Difficult Times Six

So...I’ve been called upon to share six (6) random things about myself...or something like that...but, listen, first I’m gonna tell something not-so random about me...that anyone who knows me at all knows well...which is that I’m notoriously difficult...very much so...so, for instance, since getting into this blogging thing, I’ve found myself a part of this blogger community...and, thus, I’ve made some lovely blogger friends...but also found that this community has its own strange language, customs, rituals, and unique sexual positions...okay, maybe not that last part...at least, nobody’s told me about them...anyway, among those blogger friends are Seeing-Eye Chick who “tagged” me for the six things thing...even though she knows I never follow the rules of these things...as well as Lea, who’s given me two blogging awards I’ve forgotten even to acknowledge, much less follow the rules of...and, dare I forget, my good friend Svasti, who’s once again gonna call me on recycling stuff I’ve said elsewhere...but I’ve done worse things...really...

1. 1966—the year I was born, as well as the year Bob Dylan came out with the Blonde on Blonde album, which features both the best pick-up line ever—she said ‘your debutante knows what you need, but I know what you want’—as well as the best after-it’s-all-fallen-to-pieces line—when we meet again, introduced as friends, please don’t let on that you knew me when, I was hungry, and it was your world....

2. 6 is the first digit in the address of the house where I grew up, and where my mother still lives. However, if you look my mom up in the phone book, you’ll see only the street name, without the number. The reason for that is that, shortly before we moved out from the city, when I was three, my dad, a psychiatrist, ran into someone he’d had committed, a fellow psychiatrist, actually, on the street. The guy said “I know where your children play.” My dad asked “where’s that?” The guy said “Rittenhouse Square,” which, as it turned out, was exactly right.

3. 6 is also the first digit of my phone number when I was a kid, and, thanks to cell phones, it’s the only number other than my own (which also contains a 6) that I still have memorized—I can, however, still remember what, according to the Guinness Book of World’s Records when I was a kid, was the world’s hardest tongue twister: the sixth sheik’s sixth sheep’s sick.

4. 666 is, of course, the Number of the Beast according to the Book of Revelations in the New Testament. I tend to associate it, however, with the heavy metal bands that massively overused it in my youth, who I always hated, though now I realize that this was mostly because that was the music most popular with the bullies in my high school. I still don’t like heavy metal much, but will admit that the Paranoid album by Black Sabbath isn’t bad.

5. That 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon thing was never much of a challenge for me...he lived around the corner from the house where I lived until I was three...the one from which, apparently, that crazy shrink followed us to the park....

6. I could tell ya about the 6 Branches of Yoga...but you’d be better off asking somebody who can do twists and inversions without hurting him(or her)self...like Brooks or Linda or the aforementioned Svasti....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol ... and the 7th little bit of info is that you have a thing for the #6.

MYM said...

OOOh, I love a good meme, especially when it's done by someone who really doesn't want to do it, LOL

666 is really a political reference. That's my 2 cents on Religious Studies for the day.

And that thing about you being difficult - naw. Don't believe it.

Lydia said...

You have actual first degree reference to Kevin Bacon.....why am I not surprised.
Remarkably clever the way you took this "six things thing" and actually developed it into a ...
things about six within a six things thing.

Anonymous said...

Dr Jay.

Biblical Scholars determined that it is indeed 616 that is the number of the Beast of Revelations. 666 was made infinitely popular by Aleister Crowley in his adaptations of Eliphas Levis earlier works. And a variation of it appears as a symbol for Set of Egypt who was one of the Western Prototypes for our modern Christian Satan. So set that aside as some dark marker indicating a fatal flaw. 6 is the number of Help from Heaven in Asian myth and the number of Harmony. Which is more in line with your Yoga-Mentality and medical background. Now I have shown you something else random about me. ;)

Anonymous said...

"Veeery interesting..." Col. Klink

At first glance I thought your post title was "Difficult Times Sex." Sadly, I was mistaken, but it was an excellent post anyway! And your father was a psychiatrist? Hmmm, now we're getting somewhere... :o)

Jack Payne said...

It's amazing at how many bizarre conclusions you can draw when you analyze them from the diving board of pragmatism.

"Just like me" thinking is a close second.

Lana Gramlich said...

#2's kind of scary, actually. Wow...

Merisi said...

Thank you for your kind comment on my "Strawberry Fields" blog! :-)

You spent your childhood around Rittenhouse Square? A few years ago I attended a dinner soirée, given by some patron of the arts, at an apartment right off that square. I loved the Museum of Art, located high up an that hill!

Til we meet again ...